Whitehorse United FC’s Northern Lights Academy
Whitehorse United FC presents the Northern Lights Academy. This is an inclusive program run by the club for young players u9-u12 & U13-U17 who wish to receive further training and development opportunities. This is a supplemental program to the training and games already offered through WUFC.
Within the Northern Lights Academy we will share a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for the two age cohorts. The Academy will help players become stronger soccer technicians and decision makers. This development occurs from extra hours of deliberate training around vision & awareness and soccer related interactions. Our objective is to share learnings with young players which will prepare them for further participation and competition as they mature within the game.
Senior 2023 Academy Registration
It is our objective to help every young player who comes through Northern Lights Academy to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the sport
- Expand their technical competencies with posture and balance at the centre
- Train in a safe and encouraging environment
- To challenge their own movement potential through a focus on Physical Literacy, movement preparation & stabilization
- Build Game Insight that will help players in all situations within the game
- Develop Decision Execution (technique/skill development within game play)
- Assist in the development of youth mentors as leaders and instructors
Q&A : Costs, Travel & Coaching
What Is The Cost? Where Will This Occur?
- The costs vary depending on the Age of the Academy. The most expensive phases are those run indoors as there is greater expense to renting the Canada Games Centre.
Travel & Competitions
- There will not be travel opportunities for the Academy. Only club Travel Teams will be able to travel to competitions..
- Because this is supplemental training for those individuals who want this further development opportunity, the Northern Lights Academy is a user-pay program.
Coach Education / Leadership / Teachers / Family
- Leadership by Sam Samuelson and Mark Wickham.
- Program design from Neil Sedgwick (WUFC Technical Director)